This cake is not a regular one. It’s the Oh-My-Sweet-Goodness cake more like. We got inspired from the song «Tarte au citron» (Lemon cake in French) from the French group La Fine Equipe, great background while you cook! Well, we took their recipe and have improved it. Enjoy!
Text & Photo: Boyka Todorova
250g White flour
- We will start going the dough – mix 2 of egg’s yolks with 100g of the sugar, and put just a little bit of water, so it gets lighter (2-3 teaspoons are enough).
- Mix the flour with the softened butter and add the yolks cream – all that gives you the dough. It looks too little, but don’t worry – spread it in a cake form in a thin layer and put it in the oven for 20 min at 180°C.
- Next step is the lemon cream – yummy! Take the zest of 1 lemon (shred the yellow part of lemon’s skin) and squeeze the juice of all the lemons. Put all that in a pot, together with 100g of sugar and one soup spoon of flour – and let the pot on a low heat.
- Mix the 3 remaining whole eggs and add them to the lemon juice. Don’t stop to mix the cream – mix mix mix! You will see that it’s getting thicker within 2-3 minutes. Take the dough out of the oven and put the cream on top.
- There comes the meringue part – whisk up the remaining 2 egg whites until stiff – it looks like «snow'(you can add a small pinch of salt so it goes faster). Then add the remaining 50g of sugar. Put the cream on top of the lemon cream.
- Bake in the oven at 120-150°C, until the white cream starts to look golden a bit.